Animal Migration, Birdwatching, Children's Activities in Mexico, Feast of Saint Blas, Festival Internacional de Aves Migratorias de San Blas, Festivals in Mexico, International Migratory Bird Festival, La Tovara National Park, Nayarit, San Blas
• 29 Jan–5 Feb (varies): FIAM: Festival Internacional de Aves Migratorias de San Blas (‘International Migratory Bird Festival’) – San Blas, Riviera Nayarit, State of Nayarit. An annual festival in San Blas since 2004 that coincides with the Día de San Blas (‘Feast Day of Saint Blas’) (3 Feb), the city’s patron saint (Link 2017 Programme).
Migratory Birds: Wintering Grounds
Each year thousands of migratory birds inhabit the landscape along the Riviera Nayarit – the jungle, mangroves, wetlands, coffee plantations and mountains – which provides suitable conditions for different species as their wintering grounds.
Ornithologists and birdwatchers meet to try to spot as many species as possible of more than 500 species that live in the region.
The festival is focused on conservation, environmental education and ecotourism through participation of the local community. It offers a programme of birdwatching tours (e.g. San Cristobal and El Pozo Estuaries, Isabel Island and La Tovara National Park) and cultural activities (conferences, workshops, children’s activities, dance, plays and music). The festival is one of the best of its type in the country assuring the conservation of the habitat of birds. [For more, see San Blas EcoTours].
Easy to spot birds include Brown pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis), Wood stork (Mycteria americana), Great egret (Ardea alba), Snowy egret (Egretta thula), Boat-billed heron (Cochlearius cochlearius), Northern jacana (Jacana spinosa), Purple gallinule (Porphyrio martinicus), Mottled owl (Strix virgata) and American white ibis (Eudocimus albus).
- ‘List of Birds of Mexico’, Wikipedia, Last modified 15 December 2016. Article [Retrieved 20 Jan 2017].
- Philps, Rebecca, ‘Flight of Fancy’, Western Living Magazine, Nov 2011. Article [Retrieved 20 Jan 2017].
- A boat trip up the San Blas River, Mexico, 1962 / Bill Kendall @ YouTube.
- Jungle Boat Trip, La Tovara National Park, San Blas, Mexico / http://www.tour.tk @ YouTube.